Saturday, November 17, 2012

Colbert - and Susan Lucci! - on Petraeus affair

Leave it to Colbert to hit just the right tone with his send-up of this weird "love pentagon:"


But what I want to know -- and what I always wondered about characters in soaps -- is how the heck these people find so much time during the day to engage in so much personal nonsense?  You know, the doctor who's never seeing patients or filling out paperwork, the policeman who's never solving any crimes, the executive who is never busy at his desk and lets any old visitor pop into his office on the spur of the moment.... That's what I always found the most unreal about soap operas, odd as that may be.

But apparently, it's not so far-fetched.  For example, the general commanding U.S. troops risking their lives in Afghanistan apparently has all kinds of time to exchange thousands of e-mails with some ditzy military groupie in Tampa and even worry about her even ditzier twin sister.  

I dunno, I guess I ought to spend more time at work having it out with the people in my personal life, just like all these rich and powerful people on TV....

No comments: