Saturday, March 2, 2013

RIP, Bob Woodward's reputation


I wasn't even going to mention this tempest in a teapot that is the Bob Woodward-Gene Sperling "threatdown," because it just seemed made for right-wing talk radio and cable news talking heads. Not a real story.

But this non-story has had more legs than I thought. People still give Woodward cred for stuff he did in the '70s, I guess.

So first, let me ask you, is this how a man who was threatened responds to that threat, much less to something that made him feel "uncomfortable"?

Gene: You do not ever have to apologize to me. You get wound up because you are making your points and you believe them. This is all part of a serious discussion. I for one welcome a little heat; there should more given the importance. I also welcome your personal advice. I am listening. I know you lived all this. My partial advantage is that I talked extensively with all involved. I am traveling and will try to reach you after 3 pm today. Best, Bob

And second, it is now known that Woodward probably embellished parts of his Deep Throat story, his Wash Post editor Ben Bradlee never bought it entirely, and when Woodward's own research assistant started to write about it, Woodward told him to kill the story. Woodward let his young assistant know that he would regret publishing quotes from Woodward's old boss. No word yet on how uncomfortable this made Woodward's assistant feel, and the global implications it had for the profession of journalism.

So now we know for sure: Bob Woodward is a dissembler, a fame hog, a whiner, a hypocrite and a bully.

UPDATE (03.11.2013): Check out this story by Max Holland: Bob Woodward's Dark Days.


By John Cook
February 28, 2013 | Gawker

No comments: