Thursday, February 8, 2007

RIP, Iwao Takamoto




I meant to post something earlier, but I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the passing on January 8, 2007 of 81-year-old Iwao Takamoto, the creator of Scooby Doo. Takamoto was also instrumental in the creation of "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons"

For anyone under the age of, well, 40, I daresay we all owe a good portion of our childhood joy to this great American.

According to the AFP:

"Takamoto was born in Los Angeles in 1925. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, his family was sent to an internment camp where he received basic illustration training from fellow internees.


"He first entered the cartoon world after World War II as an assistant animator for Walt Disney Studios. While there he worked on such children's classics as 'Cinderella,' 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'One Hundred and One Dalmatians.'"


Scooby Doo was an important part of my life. Still is. To this day, I count one of my great "talents" to be that I can identify any episode of Scooby Doo, starting from any point, within 3 seconds -- not counting the Scrappy Doo adventures and later abominations.

Scooby Doo was a wonderful part of my childhood, and I wouldn't give it back for anything. RIP, Mr. Takamoto. You were a true American original.

No comments: